Really can make all the difference.
I made another Trapeze dress back in March. Having made so many already I just assumed I would love it. The fabric was gorgeous, I’d used some previously for this top
The fabric feels wonderful against the skin, and is lovely to work with. And I was excited to make it up in a Trapeze dress.
So I was really bummed when I finished it, tried it on and was oh so underwhelmed. I did not like it. Couldn’t for the life of me work out why? At first I thought it might be the sleeve length, I’d made short sleeves, but thought perhaps they could be shorter. So I shortened them by about 2cm. Hmmm was a little better, but still did’t want to wear it.
I left it in the wardrobe for a while. Then thought I might be mistaken, tried it on again, fully prepared to wear it. But NO! It just looked plain and frumpy.
I put it back on Gertie so I could sit and look at it and decide what I might do, if anything. Contemplated shortening it into a top, or maybe just taking a few inches off to make into more of a tunic.
And then it hit me! I’d turn it up, but not cut anything off and make a sort of hem detail. Have done it once before by mistake, which I ended up loving, here…
I had nothing to lose, didn’t like the dress as it was. And if didn’t work I could unpick or cut it off anyway.
Happily it worked out perfectly and I now love it! Just this one small detail has made so much difference. I can’t believe it.
Unfortunately I was so uninspired by the original version that I didn’t take any pics for comparison, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.
I’m so happy I was able to resolve this. I loved the fabric and was upset that I might have wasted it. And it also really affected my confidence. I kept looking at my lovely fabric stash and feeling so nervous about making anything, in case I didn’t like it. On the same day I did this alteration, I started on a new project. And thats for another post…