However I managed to save it. I was making another Marshmallow, using a 2cm seam allowance. And forgot that woven fabrics don’t tend to have as much give in them as the knitted fabrics. When I had completed the top half of the tunic, I tried it on. It fit okay and I was happy with it, but then I tried to take it off! And almost got stuck! after a good 5 minute struggle I eventually got it off. all seemed okay, except when I looked closer I noticed that I had put the centre back seam under considerable strain and it now looked a bit delicate. Like it could rip if I tried doing that again.
So I decided to unpick the centre back seam, and sew it again using a 1cm SA, i did this, tried it on and it was still a struggle to get it off, not quite as much as before, but more of a struggle than I wanted it to be.
So I then unpicked the sleeves and the side seams, and more or less started again. using a 1cm SA through out this time. Which made it quite tricky in places, for this was no ordinary fabric. Its a beautiful cotton poplin type fabric with embroidered flowers scattered about. And sometimes the embroidered bits would get a little stuck going through the sewing machine. And I would have to be very firm with it.
I had 2.5m of the stuff, and had already planned to make Marshmallow tunic and then a Marshmallow without the ruffle. I decided to make this first one the top without the ruffle bit. Just in case I wasn’t happy with it.
I think it ended up quite good, I’m quite happy with it. And surprisingly you can’t really see where it was unpicked at all!
There will now be lots of pics so you can see how lovely this fabric is.
I tried to place my pattern pieces so that I wouldn’t have too much of the embroidered parts at points where the seams would join. Impossible to avoid all of them though.
I have already worn it, last week in the lovely warm weather. And it was very nice and comfortable to wear.
Trackback this post | Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed