I didn’t properly blog about the first tartan Trapeze top, so I’ll make up for it by blogging about the second.
First thing I’ll say is, pattern matching tartan is a BITCH! Really really is. I thought I’d been so careful to get my edges to meet up so that the centre back seam would at least match. But when I looked at it after sewing the centre back seam I was greeted by this…
Just ever so slightly off. Now I am not always a perfectionist when it comes to my sewing, but I did contemplate unpicking and doing it again ( I know some people out there would not be able to tolerate this at all ). However I looked at the fabric and the stitches and well I just had a feeling that the fabric wouldn’t stand up to the unpicking. It does have a tendency to fray. So I left it as it was. All I can say is thank goodness I can’t see it when I’m wearing it. I will say that the first one was a bit better at the back as it matched at the bottom, but went off kilter half way up, which was weird.
The sides didn’t fair much better either.
So close with this side! However they do look much better once the sleeves are attached.
I have at least got the red stripe running down the centre of the sleeve, on both sides too.
When its on the stripes look pretty good running across the sleeves and the bodice, so I’m quite happy with that.
I zigzagged the bottom rather than do a hem, as its not so easy on this shape. And luckily it seems to work really well.
So all in all, I’m very happy with this top. Its my first make of the New Year, so off to a good start.
Trackback this post | Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed